South Marshall Hallway

smeSouth Marshall School came into existence as a result of united efforts of the patrons. The children in this section of town could not attend either West End School (Stephen F. Austin) or East End School (Sam Houston) because of the long distance to walk. Mrs. Kathryn Ruffin and Mrs. Robert Boone were instrumental in organizing patrons to draft a petition to present to City Commissioners. The petition culminated in a $60,000 bond issue in January 1916 for the purpose of building two new elementary schools: Van Zandt and South Marshall.

South Marshall would be located at the corner of Meadow and Pecan Streets. Mr. Chesley Adams, former Superintendent, sold a portion of his land to the school board and donated the remainder for the school site. The school opened on December 11, 1916, with an enrollment of 87.

As a result of community growth, it became necessary in 1945 to add four classrooms, clinic, bookroom, restroooms, teachers' lounge, principal's office and a cafeteria. Crowding became more acute in 1953, and a portable classroom was built on the east side of the campus. Enrollment increased again in 1954, and the clinic and part of the office were used as a classroom until the second portable could be moved in.

In 1962, the construction of nine new classrooms was completed -- four extending east from the south end of the building and five from the north end. The old two-story structure was removed. Two classrooms and a library were added beneath the elevated south wing in 1979.

In the fall of 1987, the north wing was expanded to include six classrooms and restrooms for kindergarten and first grade and several portables were removed. In the fall of 1990, South Marshall became the first MISD elementary school to have a gymnasium.

With MISD's reorganization in 1981, South Marshall School began serving students in grades K-4. Until then, it had been a K-6 school. Head Start classes were taught at the school from fall 1999 to spring 2002.

South Marshall Elementary became South Marshall STEM Academy in the fall of 2014, serving as a magnet campus for students in MISD's STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) program which began that year. The school was repeatedly recognized for its academic excellence and achievement, with designation as a High Performing, High Progress school in back-to-back years in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 prior to closing upon opening of Marshall ISD's Legacy 2017 schools.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.